What exactly does the Parish Board do? According to our bylaws, the Parish Board’s responsibilities are to call congregational meetings, supervise and support the minister, appoint and collaborate with committees, prepare the annual budget and monitor the financial health of the congregation, oversee the use and maintenance of church structures and grounds, and act in the interest of the members of First Parish in Brookline. Over the last year, this has meant working with the minister to support staff, preparing a budget, holding our Annual Meeting, and working with all members of the church on the issues that affect us. Over the past year, the issues most affecting us has been the disruptive, destructive impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic and the nation’s growing awakening to systemic racism.
For 2022-2023, the nine members of the Parish Board are:
- Alfred Brownell (Chair)
- Jen Guillemin (Co-Chair)
- Margaret Williams (Treasurer)
- Nancy Clark (Clerk)
- Lori Day
- Kathryn Kirshner
- Jody Leader
- John Mignano
- Ed Page
We are guided in our decisions by the FPB mission and in all our interactions by our Board covenant, which reads:
To be our best selves and do our best work we will:
- Mission: Commit to the three parts of the Mission (Called by Love, Sustained By Commitment, Committed to Justice) in order to accomplish meaningful work and so that our decisions are always values-driven
- Generosity and Forgiveness: Bring a spirit of generosity for self and others that creates a safe space for all
- Space: Make space for all kinds of voices and ways of engaging
- Honesty: Bring and welcome honesty and challenging questions
- Limits: Take responsibility individually and collectively to set limits and ask for help
- Joy: Nurture spiritual growth, personal connections and joy
Parish Board meeting dates for the 2022-2023 church year are:
- Wednesday, September 14, 7-9 pm
- Sunday, October 2, 1-3 pm
- Wednesday, November 9, 7-9 pm
- Sunday, December 4, 1-3 pm
- Wednesday, January 4, 7-9 pm
- Sunday, February 5, 1-3 pm
- Wednesday, March 8, 7-9 pm
- Sunday, April 2, 1-3 pm
- Sunday, May 3, 1-3 pm
- Sunday, June 4, 1-3 pm
Until further notice, all meetings are conducted remotely through Zoom to help ensure safety. Feel free to email us for a link to the next meeting, or with questions or comments to the Board.
Parish Board meetings are open to church members – please join us! You can also find minutes from our past meetings on our Reports page.
Feel free to email us at email@example.com with questions or with anything you would like the Board to consider.